[pct-l] visiting LA 4/24-4/27

Phil Baily pbaily at webuniverse.net
Wed Mar 18 01:25:27 CDT 2009

Mt. San Gorgonio and Mt. San Jacinto will almost certainly be snow covered,
unless there is a major heat wave between now and then.

>From Pine-to-Palms Highway, Highway 74, south to the border should all be
open. Last year, the week before kick-off (mid-April) I walked from 74 south
to Warner Springs -- 3 days. The weather was delightful and the wildflowers
were in bloom along the trail. I really enjoyed the hike. It is "desertish"
but not hard core in that there is lots of vegetation compared to the flat
lower desert areas. (It is nothing like green Colorado.) There are many nice
views (I could see snow-capped San Gorgonio and San Jacinto to the north
from a number of points, and there were interesting valleys, but the
wildflowers were what made it special. There are several roads that
intersect the PCT in that region.

The area around Mt. Laguna might also be worth considering.

You might also enjoy Joshua Tree.

Enjoy your visit,

Pieces