[pct-l] Waterproof Socks

Rod Belshee rbelshee at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 18 09:33:12 CDT 2009

I used Sealskinz on some sections of the CDT (e.g. the Gila River section).
They were okay at keeping out rain, but soon developed leaks crossing
streams. Regardless, my feet got sweaty wet inside, so I had another pair of
socks inside of the SealSkinz to absorb the moisture, which only worked
partially. SealSkinz are rather heavy and do not count in your normal
rotation of socks, so are extra weight.

For Sierras most people just slosh through the streams and their feet dry
out okay. Some people are more susceptible to blisters and have to take
extra measures to keep feet drier. I'd consider SealSkinz as a heavy,
non-ideal solution if your feet require it. I learned another alternative
from Billy Goat, which takes more time but is less weight -- stuff a set of
insoles from old shoes into sock liners and viola you have very lightweight
stream crossing foot gear. That worked for me, though it is a hassle to
change foot gear at each crossing. SealSkinz avoids that hassle at the cost
of weight.

Steady Sr