[pct-l] Snow Course Review

Timothy Akin timothyakin at mac.com
Wed Mar 18 10:16:58 CDT 2009

High marks all around. Thanks again Ned for leading our group.
I would definitely recommend this trek to anyone new to cold weather
camping. If you have any fears about traveling or camping on snow,
Ned will help you overcome those fears.
We covered everything that was laid out in his syllabus.  Route
finding, avalanche awareness, self arrest, basic cold weather camping
skills.
I learned that watching a self arrest on Youtube is not the same as
getting out in the snow and teaching your body and mind how to do
this correctly.  I learned to be aware of your surroundings and when
to take that axe off your pack and into your hand.  I learned the
necessity of tying down my tent properly before going out for a day
hike on a potentially windy day (my pop-up tent did a Wizard of Oz
while I was gone).  I learned where to source water in winter.  I
walked two miles across a frozen Lake Echo.  I learned how to be more
aware of natures clues by observing the weather, snow pit profiles,
visible surface fractures in sloped snow.  I learned how to cross
frozen creeks. I learned.
One of our crew dug and slept in a snow cave.
The skills taught here are always geared toward safety on the trail.
As for the scenery, how can you go wrong with Desolation Wilderness
in winter!  Good show Ned.

Tim A.
JMT sobo 2009