[pct-l] Waterproof Socks

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 12:12:37 CDT 2009

Looks like I'm with the majority on this issue.  I actually tried both
sealskinz and goretex socks in the Sierras last year, ultimately
mailing the former and then the latter home.   IMO any sort of
neoprene sock is too heavy for what it delivers, unless you expect to
be walking extended periods in water (like, for example, doing the
Narrows in Zion National Park, in which case you might want a beefier
pair of these than you find off the shelf at REI).    They do make
stream crossings less unpleasantly cold, but also tediously slow.

I think Goretex socks can be a good augment to trail runners in
certain conditions.  Not to wear in crossing a stream, but if you
really hate wet feet I suppose a person could put them on *after*
crossing the stream, or in camp at night if shoes are wet.   I think
they're more useful in warmish snow or coldish rain, though in the
latter case they can wet out from the ankle down unless a gaiter or
something prevents that.    Bottom line is that I'd consider bringing
a pair of Rocky brand goretex socks for the Sierras if just trail
runners and wool socks make you nervous, and size them one if not two
sizes too large (foot growth, and space to wear thick wool sock
underneath).

Knowing what I know now, I would probably just bring an extra pair of
wool socks and a pair of plastic bags to wear between wet shoes and
dry socks in camp.    I do, however, occasionally use my goretex socks
at home now, as I live in the Pacific NW and still only want to wear
trail runners regardless of weather.

Brian Lewis / Gadget '08
http://postholer.com/brianle