[pct-l] addendum to Section E report

Janet Grossman janetgr at cableone.net
Wed Mar 18 20:35:53 CDT 2009

Just north of the Cottonwood Creek Bridge, there's a big sign warning that it's better not to try hiking north from there because of the fire damage. It says there's ash all over the ground, confusing trails, etc. Well, I think it was about 8-10 miles from there to the burned area, and although there's ash on the ground, the trail through that part is very well marked (thanks, PCTA & volunteers!). However, be sure to use your map and guidebook so you take the road downhill to the right into Tylerhorse Canyon (just a few miles from the bridge) and then across the creek and up the other side, as there are no trail signs for a long time before or after. I met a man named Roger driving his pickup across the bridge, and he was shocked to see me, but said he always likes to come talk to PCT hikers. He pointed out to me which canyon he said I would be going up in the morning, and he was incorrect. So just pay careful attention in there!
And on the Dr. Bronner's soap issue: I used nothing else for maybe 20 years (at home) and only after a longish visit to somebody who had good old Dial soap in their shower did I realize that the eczema for which dermatologists had been treating me all that time was actually contact dermatitis caused by Dr. Bronner's. No more itchy rashes or hives or need for prescription creams, and every time I use Dr. B's or any other coconut-oil-based soap, the rash comes back. But I can eat coconut with no problem. Go figure.
I did find good vegan food at Mama Hillybeans in Tehachapi, so thanks for the tip, Monty.
Janet