[pct-l] Snow Clothing Strategy

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Thu Mar 19 12:59:15 CDT 2009

Hi, Greg!

Thanks for your question. It gets asked all the time.

Most people like to look at snow, but to live in it, as in camping without
an escape cabin to run to when cold, seems beyond comprehension. I'll give
you both the general and specific answers.

In general, its all about layering. When you're working, either hiking,
snowshoeing, pulling a sled on skis, or digging a snow cave, you're creating
a lot of heat through muscle activity. As soon as you stop and are still
exposed to the elements, you're going to cool rapidly and will need to layer
up soon.

In specific, it really doesn't matter what types and brands of clothing you
use as long as they retain air, like down or wool or fleece, can be piled on
you to hold more air as it gets colder outside, and can be covered with a
wind-proof layer over-all. I say this for all the folks who have the desire
to get outside and learn how to safely enjoy snow camping and travel but who
don't have the "technical" clothing wardrobe.  Bring what you have, pile it
on, and throw a shell over it. Simple. Pay attention to your temperature,
whether your body is telling you, "I'm going to get cold quick," or "keep
this up and I'm going to start sweating!"

For years, mothers have been "bundling up" their kids in whatever they had
and sent them outside to play in the elements. Nothing has changed,these
days, but the hype from the technical outerwear manufacturers encouraging us
to buy their designs and fabrics. That's fine; that's capitalism, but you
still have the freedom to choose what you want to wear. Layering is the key
to holding ever thicker volumes of air around your body, capped with a
waterproof/windproof layer to keep the wind from blowing the warm air off
you or the rain from getting in, will keep you warm and dry as long as you
pay attention to your body temperature.

Your selection of clothing is a personal one. I still prefer cotton next to
my skin. It just "feels" better than the synthetics. As long as I don't get
wet or at least have a quick way to dry off/ change to dry layers, it
doesn't matter in the practical sense with these preparations. Without these
preparations of what to do if you get wet and you are wearing fabrics like
cotton that hold moisture, causing you to get cold fast, the choice of
cotton is hazardous to your health. Many prefer the synthetics next to the
skin-to wick moisture off the skin so you don't chill. Your call.

I will wear a cotton turtleneck, also, as my next layer. I like it and it
works for me-as long as I have the above preparations to change clothes
readily at hand. It's comfortable and looks good, too.

My third layer is either a wool shirt or a Windstopper Fleece Jacket,
depending on what I'm doing outside and the expected weather conditions,
especially wind. Fleece is great as a synthetic air-holder, thermal layer,
but the wind goes right through it and blows all the warm air out. Wool
doesn't have that problem for some reason. This layer works great with a
wind/waterproof shell over it all.

Next is the major insulating layer where the down parka is pulled out for
when I'm really cold or just sitting around, say cooking a meal inside the
tent or eating lunch outside in the shade. The parka doubles as my pillow.

The last layer is always a waterproof shell. If you can afford a
waterproof/breathable shell, all the better, like a garment with a Gore
membrane or a Conduit coating in its design.

As long as you pay attention to your body temperature, regulate your
exposure to the elements, and control how much you sweat by how hard you
work, with multiple layers of clothing and a waterproof/windproof shell
you'll do fine and have a great time enjoying the peace and beautiful
scenery of the snowy woods or mountains. Just remember to eat and drink a
lot and all the time-you're working hard!

Mtnned