[pct-l] section A & B in oregon

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Thu Mar 19 21:33:13 CDT 2009

> I'm a section hiker, having done all of WA and all of OR except section A & B.
> The guidebook makes these two sections sound as if they are terrible and there
> is no reason to do them, unless you're a thru-hiker.
>
> Are they really that bad? ...
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Depends on your perspective and how you actually look at it, too... As alluded to by
Gadget, many thrus have something else on their minds once they get close to the OR
border - finally being done with CA's 1700 miles and Canada seems "in sight" and
reachable... After the long climb up from Seiad Valley, the PCT gives 'easy' miles...

The Red Buttes area, especially, is a unique geological and biological area - many
species of plants are found only in the Siskiyou mountains... See some of Deems' photos
of that area at <http://www.pbase.com/losthiker/red_buttes&page=all>... Maybe Deems
will chime in regarding the flora - he is a local extremely knowledgeable of that area...

You can also be one of the first to hike "The First Mile" recently saved (by the PCTA
and the generous contributions of many) - see <http://www.pcta.org/help/first-mile.asp>...
It is within the boundary of the BLM Greater Cascade-Siskiyou National Monument...
Climb at least part way up on the shoulder of Pilot Rock to get some great views of
southern OR - and northern CA, too...

ALL sections of the PCT are special in some way - and there is still more than 250
miles of PCT "at risk" to hopefully save for the future... So hike OR A & B and celebrate!

Happy trails!!!
Jim / PITA