[pct-l] vegetarians/vegans

t.n. turner barnumbaileypdx at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 20 11:51:29 CDT 2009

I'm not a strict vegetarian by any stretch of the imagination, but I do have quite a few dietary restrictions, some self-imposed, some body-imposed. To start, I'm lactose intolerant, so I couldn't depend on dairy for any protein/fat/nutrients in that arena, but I found powdered soy milk (at Bob's Red Mill here in Oregon, not cheap!) and I added it to almost everything. Along with TVP (textured vegetable protein, sort of dried soy protein), which I added to lots of things as well. But I really like dehydrated refried beans (black and pinto), hummus (can get at Winco stores and Bob's) and my very favorite dinner - Curried Lentil Soup which I would eat with either rice or tortillas - very tasty. All of these were bought in bulk at various stores in the Portland area and then shipped to me, I have the best logistics manager in the world (well my world anyway). However, I did see some of these things in stores along the way. Fantastic Foods makes all kinds of interesting dehydrated meals - veggie chili, tacos, sloppy joes (all the same with a few spice changes<smile>), tabouli, hummus, refried beans too. The Curried Lentil Soup I saw in a couple stores as well, one in Big Bear Lake or City(?). Also Idlywild had a great 'alternative' foods grocery store. OH and I also took some Almond or Soy 'Cheese' a couple times and had it in the first few days out and it was okay, not great, but not terrible!
I don't eat mammals, peanuts or chocolate - yes I know sucks to be me (peanuts and chocolate are body imposed) - but I did have turkey jerky and hummus almost every day for lunch and really enjoyed it! I too had soy jerkey that I could add to dinners, but occasionally would just eat as a snack/lunch. But I had a Cllif bar that I think is called Pro-bar(?) that has a ton of protein per bar and a couple that were covered in carob (yum!), well my Mom actually found and sent me (sorry, she lives in Maine and I don't know where she got them). But they were REALLY good and almost a meal by themselves. There are Pemmican bars, that some people couldn't stomach after many miles of eating only them, but I really liked them, vegan I believe.
But I also hiked with a couple folks along the way that had made their own food at home, dehydrated it and they seemed to be doing fine!! I don't have the technology yet to do the dehydrated food thing yet. Anyway, just a couple other thoughts on veggie choices.