[pct-l] Pinching penny gear questions: Bags

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Fri Mar 20 15:27:02 CDT 2009

There is always much talk about sleeping bags and how they statistically
compare, how one type treated a particular hiker, what is the lightest one,
etc..

A practical word of caution:

Don't invest in a bag unless it keeps you warm enough in the coldest
expected conditions.

Unless you're prepared, in the name of a light pack, for little sleep on
cold nights or on snow, it is not worth it (IMHO). I have watched numerous
hikers come through our Snow Courses with the bags and pads of their choice
and most freeze, not realizing what it takes to stay warm enough to get a
good night's sleep in their bag and on their pad. They talk highly about the
weight of their pack and they're fatigued and miserable in the morning.

Before your trip starts, get out in the cold and wet and see if your bag/pad
combo really does the trick.

Keep in mind, the bag may work fine in your back yard, but on the cold, hard
ground or snow where you're going to be for months on end, the pad may let a
lot of heat out, also. It's a combination deal.

Mtnned