[pct-l] Ibuprofen or Vitamin I

Ellen Shopes igellen at comcast.net
Fri Mar 20 16:23:33 CDT 2009

I tend to agree with some of what you say.  Ibuprofen (and other
COX-inhibitors) have a number of problems.  The most common side effect is
gastric irritation, which can sometimes be minimized by taking it with
meals.  It also decreases renal blood flow, which is a problem for people
who may be dehydrated or already have marginal kidney function.  We avoid
using this class of drugs on older people having surgery if their kidney
function is impaired.  Because of its effects on the kidney, it has been
linked to hyponatremia (low sodium levels) in endurance athletes.  It also
inhibits platelet function and makes one more susceptible to bleeding and
bruising.  Finally, there has been concern in the orthopedic community for
some time about impaired bone formation and delayed healing of fractures
(for those of you prone to stress fractures).
Understanding all that, it is not unreasonable to use the recommended  (read
the label) dosing schedule.  Just be aware of potential problems should they
be encountered.
I am also hesitant to 'mask' an early injury with an anti-inflammatory/pain
reliever.  Part of this means knowing your body.  I usually avoid taking it
for my back (I'll just push my limits until it goes out), but will use it
for knee pain.  An alternative is Tylenol.  It is not a COX-inhibitor and
therefore does not have the same side effect profile.  It is an excellent
pain killer, the long-acting stuff is helpful, but can cause liver problems
if used excessively.
OK, probably more info than anybody wanted!
Elderly Ellen