[pct-l] Pct-l Digest, Vol 15, Issue 84

Pat Megowan patmegowan at comcast.net
Fri Mar 20 17:50:02 CDT 2009

Hi Sean,

Check the Gear Deals (Backcountry 40% off thread) and Gear Swap forums at
Backpackinglight.com for possibilities, and of course ebay. If you are going
to continue hiking in mountains after the PCT a good bag in the 15-25 degree
range will be a good friend. I'd scrimp on a few nights of motel bills
before scrimping on a bag. I've been very happy w/Western Mountaineering and
Marmot, a bit less w/REI. These bags have different fits - I find WMs a bit
shorter than their specs suggest (I'm 5-10 and their 6' bag is a bit short
for relaxed feet), and volumes can feel very different too - a WM ultralite
is quite a bit snugger than a Marmot hydrogen. Up to a point snugger is
warmer, but then it isn't, and you have to be comfy enough to sleep. Can you
possibly get to a shop and try? Are you small, medium, big, and how restless
a sleeper?

More important, technique, judgment, hydration and nutrition are huge parts
of staying warm when things get cold and wet. A 20 degree bag in a shallow
watercourse is no longer cozy even at freezing...according to unnamed
sources;-).

Pat