[pct-l] Oregon sections A & B

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 11:22:30 CDT 2009

Nathan said:
"One of the most conspicuous lies I've found so far is that there seem
to be quite a few perfectly good spots to camp that aren't mentioned
in the book.  PCT hikers have been quite resourceful at carving out
little spots here and there along the trail."

My general sense from the blur-that-was-last-year is that much of
California and Oregon are like that.  Starting in northern Oregon and
through most of Washington, however, it's just harder to carve out a
(yes, no-trace) campsite for yourself, you're more reliant on finding
previously used campsites.   The issue is the underbrush.  You can be
walking in a pine forest in more southern parts and have a lot of open
space, not hard to find places to toss down your bedding and sleep.
In the north there's just always bushes, brush covering any flat spot,
so indeed one pays a bit more attention to the guidebooks for clues on
where there might be campsites.

Brian Lewis / Gadget '08
http://postholer.com/brianle