[pct-l] SPOT, Bears, and cats (east coast backpacker)

Jeannie Zortman jeanmzortman at aol.com
Tue Mar 24 13:26:01 CDT 2009

I had an experience with SPOT last year and it was very positive. Went
and bought one for future hikes. More reliable than cell phones and
ham radios but not as informative. I have programmer mine with my
itinerary, medical history age sex experience level etc. So the
sherrif has an idea what to expect.

The unit was $99 and the service with insurance was $150. It takes 2
AA lithium batteries and weighs 7 ounces.

Friends can track me every 10 minutes. In tracking mode and I can call
for help from a support team and/ or alert 911 with the push of a
button. I don't expect to use it for bears or cats as they aren't
afraid of the thing. But it does help should I become immobile again
and and or lost and need immediate assistance. Mostly it's for peace
of mind for family and friends.

The sherrif deputy that came to my aid was very impressed and wished
more people had them. It saves them endless man hours searching and
gets them to the scene in time to have a happy ending.

Just my thoughts. Hope it helps.
The lime green
Jellybean

Sent from my iPhone