[pct-l] Sleeping in a Hammock

jason moores jmmoores at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 24 18:49:46 CDT 2009

Joel,

I hiked for a few days in '06 with a guy named Chase, from Albuquerque. Chase used a hammock from the border to the Sierra. He claimed to have been able to hang on all but a few nights. All-n-all  he seemed very pleased. The only complaint that I remember him having was that he spent several nights sleeping cold, due to cold air and heavy winds circulating around the bottom of his hammock. I'm not 100% sure but I think that he was also using a light weight quilt.
A hiking partner of mine carried a hammock for a long stretch on his AT thru-hike. Nate was also pleased with using his hammock. It's light and makes finding a campsite very easy in most conditions.
I also recall hearing of a group of hikers called the "Ewoks" who used hammocks on their thru-hike. Sorry, but I don't recall any details other than that.

jason