[pct-l] [Fwd: Re: Boot Wear Patterns]

Rick Ostheimer rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 25 11:37:06 CDT 2009

Eric Lee wrote:
Handlebar wrote:
  I wore boots on my 08 PCT thru and on my 06 AT thru.

How'd your feet do with the boots in the desert heat?  For stream
crossings,
did you remove them or just wade straight through and wear them wet?

Eric

Desert heat:  I actually think they might have been better in the desert
heat as they have thicker soles.  I had 3 changes of socks and a couple
of safety pins.  Early in the hike I changed out my socks after about
every 3 hours of hike time, but toward the end I just swapped out the
socks at the end of the day.  The wet one rode pinned to my backpack to
dry.  One thing I noticed with my 280 mile trail runner (Montrail
Hardrocks) experiment was that my feet got very dirty, while, in the
boots they stayed quite clean.  I did wear gaiters, OR Mountain lows,
but they wore very poorly.  After 2 pairs, I switched to a pair of Dirty
Girls around Sierra City.  They were much more breathable and held up to
the end.

Stream Crossings.  With the OR low gaiters, I often did rock hops where
the rocks were submerged in the water.  If the ford was deeper, I
switched to crocs and crossed in those.  I had a couple pieces of bear
hanging cord that I used to secure the crocs to my feet.  I tried to
avoid situations where the boots were submerged and filled with water as
they do take a very long time to dry as the lining absorbs a lot of
water.  A trick to drying them if they do get wet is to stuff socks into
the boots, let them set a while, pull out and wring out the socks, and
repeat until the socks don't absorb any more water.

I'd used the make/model of boots on previous hikes and therefore knew
what size to get.  Even though I did a lot of training hikes,  I did get
a few blisters at the start of the hike.  Once those cleared up, no more
blisters.  Because I knew the size and that, with LaSportiva Makalus,
one either loves them or hates them, I was able to get a barely worn
pair (used only for snowshoeing) on EBay for $75.  Compare that to
$320-400 for 4 to 5 pair of trail runners.  Plus, I got that pair
resoled for another $75 and expect to get another 2000 miles.

Handlebar