[pct-l] Livestock feed for PCT

Jereen Anderson jereenanderson at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 27 10:54:06 CDT 2009

From: MendoRider/Ed
Hans, you mentioned riding SOBO. From where to where? On my PCT ride I considered getting the most calories and nutrition at the lowest weight and bulk. Also providing some consistency in Primos daily diet. What I brought was the following mix: One third each of 1/4" alfalfa pellets (they take up less volume than 1/2' pellets would for the same weight), Equine Sr (good balanced nutrition), and COB with molasses. I fed 6#/day on average of this combination. All of this is processed - no live seeds. Of course most of his feed came from grazing. You have to take the time to let your stock graze along the trail as well as in camp. The more miles you try to average per day the more feed you will have to bring. I soon discovered that caching my resupplies worked out best for me. You can read how I cached on line on Google at    equestmagazine.com/pct.
Ed Anderson