[pct-l] Lithium Batteries

Vincent Rupp vincent.rupp at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 22:52:07 CDT 2009

I think the difference is lithium (AA) vs. lithium ion (cell phone). Iif I
recall college physics correctly, ions are some sort of magic.

How long a battery lasts relates to both how the device sucks the power and
the total energy jammed into the battery.

Standard alkaline batteries aren't 1.5V for long. I tried using some in my
digital camera - got about 60 photos out of it. Then tested the batteries
with a multimeter and the voltage was still around 1.3 each. Guess it just
doesn't work at that voltage, but most electronic devices perform fine
within a range. A light just gets dimmer as the battery weakens. I think
that's why the Nimh are 1.2V - doesn't much matter for most electronics.
Energizer's lithium AA runs about $9 at Target; I think those stay at a much
higher voltage until they die. Supposedly, my camera will take over 1,000
photos (without the flash) on a set of these.
When I was battery shopping, I ran across this discussion by an engineer on
the relative merits of types of batteries (first customer review)
http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-L91BP-4-Lithium-Batteries-4-Pack/dp/B00003IEME/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1238296513&sr=8-1