[pct-l] Anybody selling a Spot Device?

Bill Burge bill at burge.com
Tue Mar 31 20:28:54 CDT 2009

You should realize that the Spot device is not a reliable as a true PLB.

These guys make the current state of the art personal locator beacon.

http://www.acrelectronics.com/product3.aspx

It is a single purpose device - call for help.  There is no
subscription as there is no "company" that provides the service.  It
is to signal search and rescue services.  It is about the same price
as the Spot with one year of service.

A new player (no real track record yet) is http://www.fastfindplb.com
They are smaller and a little cheaper than the ACR's.

Don't get me wrong, I own a Spot.  I may even carry it on the trail,
when that time comes.  It does cool things like it can send a "Hey
everybody, this is where we're at and we OK".  And it can do a shared
website where everyone that can access that site can follow your
progress.  BUT, as an "OMG, we might be about to die!" it's second best.

BillB