[pct-l] Southbound

Tom Griffin griffin at u.washington.edu
Sat May 2 17:24:52 CDT 2009

Since there isn't a lot of chatter about southbounding, I'll add my two
cents' worth.

I've met at least two thruhikers who preferred going southbound. Francis
Tapon wrote an essay about it on his website:
http://www.francistapon.com/Travels/Pacific-Crest-Trail/Why-go-southbound-on-the-PCT

Uber-Hiker Scott Williamson once told me that going southbound was
easier than hiking northbound. (Of course, he's seen the PCT so many
more times in the northbound direction, maybe the change of scene a
southbound hike brings speeds him along.) Even his "honeymoon hike" was
southbound. On that hike (in 2007), I think Scott and Michele left in
late June and still had to deal with a lot of snow in the North
Cascades. So if you decide to leave in mid-June, you have got to expect
a lot of snow in the North Cascades and it will slow you down. I
wouldn't bring snowshoes but light-weight crampons are probably a good
idea. Frankly, I'd wait until late June to start if you can hold off
that long.

I agree with Lookout's comments below about rain. It's always a problem
in my home state, and the skies don't usually dry out until July (if
then). Definitely bring a stove and good raingear. Resupply will be a
struggle. The road at Harts Pass, the first road crossing after the
border, probably won't be open in early June. You first chance for
resupplying will be hitching on Hwy 20 to Mazama or Winthrop from Rainy
Pass (Winthrop is further but is a real town with good resupply
options). There really isn't much food in Stehekin to buy--so I would
definitely send a resupply box there (and pig out at the bakery). Once
you get to Stevens Pass, you'll have better resupply options and you
will be in better shape.

Lookout recommends the detour around the east side of Glacier Peak. I
took the detour in 2005 on a section hike
(http://griffinte.home.comcast.net/~griffinte/pct2005/index.html) and I
thought it was some of the most beautiful country in the state. However,
there are two difficult fords in the early season and the extra mileage
will slow you down (and so will the approach to Little Giant
Pass--you'll KNOW this isn't the PCT). So I would recommend taking the
original PCT route, as most of the northbound thruhikers do in
September, and which Scott and Michele took on their southbound hike in
2007. The Forest Service has repaired bridges over several creek
crossings that were washed out in 2003, although you still have to cross
the Suiattle River on a huge log. You will also have to cross over lots
of deadfall since you are hiking early in the season, before trail crews
have had a chance to clear the trails.

But you are going to have a great trip and much more of a wilderness
experience that those caught in the northbound "herd." Take a look at my
PCT pages if you want to see some trip reports on my section hikes of
the Washington PCT.

Tom "Bullfrog" Griffin
http://griffinte.home.comcast.net/~griffinte/pct.html