[pct-l] Just going to put this out there for Metzger to consider

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Mon May 4 14:03:12 CDT 2009

Hi, Easy.  No offense taken, but a response in order.

I don't recall saying that it was "all in good fun." Not so at all; that
would imply agreement with such attitudes. What I do offer is an excuse of
behaviors and attitudes more common to older generations that are no longer
culturally acceptable.  I try to temper my disdain for offensive remarks
with some understanding of where that person is coming from.  I see this
same sort of disturbing thing in many older people, even sometimes my own
parents. I recognize biases, though abhorrent, to be intrinsic to humanity.
Also, too, please note  I advocated telling someone they're being offensive
(on any subject).  The dialogue has been healthy - but I don't think a mob
mentality to run Reinhold off the list is kind or generous in any way.  If
this were going on upon the trail, hikers would merely avoid him, not group
up to run him off the trail.  Why?  Because he has as much right to be here
as we do.

I believe we need to extend tolerance to one another, whenever we can.
Nothing is gained when we silence or eradicate every voice that doesn't
agree with ours.  We need to support free speech, even when we might find
that speech offensive.  Each of us has a choice whether we want to listen or
not.  No one is holding a gun to your head making you read the pct-l, and no
one guaranteed that everything on the list  would be worthwhile.  It's
different things to different people, and some people, especially among
hikers are very,  very, different.

L-Rod

p.s.  I've never met Reinhold and I rarely read his messages.  In fairness,
I don't read most of the messages on the pct-l as they are largely
repetitive or irrelevant to me.  I enjoy Facebook a whole lot more these
days.