[pct-l] Stoves and fuel

Sara Dyehouse saradyehouse at yahoo.com
Mon May 4 14:17:32 CDT 2009

I know this discussion has been had many times before, but I find searching the archives difficult and frustrating, so at the risk of annoying everyone, I'm just going to post and hope I don't get flamed.

Preface:  I own and have used a cannister stove.  I also own and have used a petro stove (MSR Whisperlight to be exact).  I do not own and have not used an alcohol stove, but I've heard and read a lot about them.  They all have their positives and negatives.  About the only thing I want to do is boil water once or twice a day (perhaps more if it's really cold) for hot drinks, oatmeal, and a hot meal of some sort (taters, rice, pasta, etc).  I plan on re-supplying as I go.

My primary question is: What fuel is most readily available along the whole trail?

My secondary question (I'm expecting purely subjective responses) is: What stove/fuel setup seems to be the best choice, considering my needs and re-supply plans, as well as changing weather and altitude concerns?

Thanks in advance for all comments/suggestions.

Sara