[pct-l] stove choice

mark v allemande6 at yahoo.com
Mon May 4 14:31:50 CDT 2009

The majority of thrus use alcohol.  A significant minority use canisters.  I used a canister.  I expected to switch to alcohol, but after seeing other hikers deal with theirs, i was unimpressed.  Too much fuel left when you're done cooking, or the fuel running out before you're done, fuel spills, no simmer option, etc.  The one apparent advantage to alcohol is supposed to be weight savings vs. canisters, but someone on here did the math and it's not a weight savings if you're out for more than 3 or 4 days between resupplies.  So, alcohol might be best for the AT, but for the PCT, i think it's a wash.

Also, i know a few hikers who during the hike switched from alcohol to canisters.  I don't know any who did the other way around.

just my .02