[pct-l] satellite phones?

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Tue May 5 10:05:50 CDT 2009

Candy said:

"Maybe this is my own ignorance (likely it is), but I feel like if you have
the right cell phone carrier you might be able to get some moderate recepion
on the trail. I know in a lot of VERY primitive areas in Oregon I've been
able to get reception with a verizon phone on the trail, in areas that other
phone servers wouldn't work. it might be a more fiscally reasonable idea to
invest in a go phone or pay-by-the minute plan from a cell company than to
get a satellite phone."

Consensus seems to be AT&T or Verizon, and Halfmile's collection of cell
coverage along the PCT --- and a reminder to those on the trail that it
would be great if you would contribute to that as you go along,
http://www.pctmap.net/cell/index.html

In terms of "go phone or pay-by-the-minute" plans, be aware that at least
last year AT&T's pay-as-you-go plan (Go Phone) had a lesser, more restricted
coverage map than do their contract plans.  I believe Verizon's
pay-as-you-go plan doesn't have this issue.

For someone trying to make relatively real-time contacts to get at-trailhead
delivery of resupply, I think this is certainly realistic in SoCal with a
cell phone, perhaps less so other places, but look at Halfmile's data and
compare to the resupply locations you contemplate.  I think some of the
best-known cell data is for where there are road crossings and the like, and
of course the best coverage tends to be where there are roads ...

Brian Lewis / Gadget '08
http://postholer.com/brianle