[pct-l] Late Departures - how late is too late for a thru hike?

Danny Cox dannywcox at gmail.com
Thu May 7 15:10:15 CDT 2009

Hi All,

I have some work commitments that are running late and I need to
decide if I can put off beginning my hike later than I already am.

Leaving north from Campo, how different will conditions be (such as
water availability and temperature) if I left the 25th of May as
opposed to leaving very soon such as the 11th of May? Can I expect
others will be starting out around that later time as well?

I expect there could be some benefits to a late start, such as less
snow when I finally reach Kennedy Meadows and beyond, but as a
Canadian who hasn't yet learned to appreciate hiking in high
temperatures I'm concerned that I really should be on the trail
already as originally planned.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience,

Danny