[pct-l] WTA on Suiattle River Crossing repair

Jeff Whitmer jeff.whitmer at gmail.com
Sat May 9 14:52:50 CDT 2009

We had NFS wilderness that butted right up against NPS wilderness. We were
separated by a pass. We used crosscuts on our side, the NPS used chainsaws
on theirs. Also the clarify, I think there is a difference between using a
chainsaw for maintenance versus taking a snowmobile out there for
recreation. It is hard to draw that line though. If you wanted to be really
extreme, we could ban helicopters for rescue or stop "improving" for man
maintaining trails in the first place. I am of the opinion that we should
allow chainsaws (when necessary), etc for maintenance and everyone I talked
to that summer agreed. Again, I am not sure about explosives and excavators.
I never asked.

I was always told that the two departments just took differing opinions on
wilderness. I really don't know why, other than they just do. Both operate
under the same act of 1964. They just interprete it differently. Do you know
why?