[pct-l] Conditions between Hway 74 and Saddle Junction

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Sat May 9 16:31:04 CDT 2009

Considering we didn't have any trouble going through there 2 weeks ago, I doubt you'll have much trouble now.  Just bring a map with you and a compass.  Some of the trail was under snow though between following footsteps and taking an occasional compass heading was all that we needed to do.

>From Saddle Jct to the Trail Jct to Tahquitz Lookout, the snow was patchy, but from there to the Trail Jct with Little Tahquitz Valley, it was mostly under snow with little of it showing (its probably improved some since then).  From Little Tahquitz to Red Tahquitz (where the trail turns from going east to south), it was 80% snow covered, though pretty easy to follow.  If you are hiking this secton of the trail and find a small purple stuff sack with a bivy sack in it, thats mine and I'll give a reward if returned to me (I lost it while traveling through this 2 mile stretch in the early evening when I slipped on the snow).

>From Red Tahquitz to Apache Peak, there were a few very short snow banks (less then 20ft long) and no snow south of there.

-Sean "Miner" Nordeen

I trust that there are thrus and others who have walked this section of trail recently. I am interested in snow conditions between Pine-to-Palms Highway (74) and Saddle Junction. Is there still snow left? How much? If I walk up Devil's Slide and then head south from the junction, are there any adverse trail conditions that I will encounter?

Thanks for your help,

Pieces