[pct-l] H.R. 1912: Complete America's Great Trails Act

Jim Eagleton eagleton at hotmail.com
Mon May 11 09:23:42 CDT 2009

Who is the government trying to fool here?   For every million dollars of land the government receives, it will cost the government a million dollars.  I do not see any mathematical difference in this bill than to allocate money to the National Scenic Trail and have them buy land/easements from willing sellers.

Of course, the effectiveness of tax credits assumes the land owner is paying taxes.  However, many owners will be considering this sale when they are retired and doing estate planning.  If I could not use the whole tax credit, I would give the government a small portion of the least developable land, and leave the more developable portion to my heirs.

More land -yes; more tax code- no

toc