[pct-l] Horse incident

susan woodswitch at hughes.net
Tue May 12 09:09:23 CDT 2009

To everyone who has concern for Port and me...we are going to be fine. Port
has swollen bruises all over his neck and back, me the same, but we both
seem to be okay. I am resting Port for a few days then taking him back home
to fully recover. At the point of fall, there was a huge tree across the
trail at a narrow ledge with no possibility of my tiny saw cutting it.
Actually my saw looked like a toy next to it. We tried to back up and Port
lost his footing taking us both down a 50' slide, the slide was surreal, we
kind of floated in the scree and really weren't hurt badly (I did push 911
on my Spot because I "knew" I must be hurt after that) but quickly found
that we both had been cushioned by the scree. I reset the Spot locator to
say "I'm okay" and then tried to build a path back up on the other side of
the tree but the talus was just too big and unstable (we were luckily on a
shelf which was secure) I asked Port to try to climb out on top of the talus
and he willing followed me. About 10 feet from the top he fell over
backwards and crashed violently back to the shelf. Miraculously, he was only
dazed. I rebuilt the footing to what looked like a possible escape for Port
and asked him once again. He trusted me again and willing tried. Again he
fell over backwards. This time he hit his head and I thought he was a goner.
But, somehow he got up shaking his head and then his whole body. I prayed
that I hadn't taken this great horse to his death, but it seemed that he was
hurt but okay. He had blood on both hind legs, but otherwise appeared
shaken. I knew then that I was going to do something different. I remember
reading about a vet who developed a sling along with UC Davis for just this
type of accident and they had great success in extracting horses from
ravines. I vowed to Port he would fly out and not be subject to more
injuries. So I climbed out leaving a note that I was going for help.
Climbing from 6900 feet to 7300 probably the fastest in history, I found my
husband and got my ON Star to find Dr. Madden who immediately agreed to
extract Port the following day. Port was to be safe, with no more injuries.
With this I returned to the trail head to get food and water to Port to last
the night and I found to my absolute astonishment that Port had been brought
out by a group of hikers. They had followed the instructions of a fellow
hiker from Italy who was a rider/horseman for years and with the team effort
got Port out. Although I was not going to chance it again with Port, they
had no way to know about the helicopter arrangements I had made and their
compassion was admirable and I appreciate all the efforts everyone made on
Port's behalf. I do understand that Port took another violent fall and then
somehow they were able to get him out. This group of hikers are the special
ones, they put their schedules aside, and did what it took to help Port and
I will be forever grateful. Because there must have been some special kind
of help involved Port looks like he will fully recover as will I.
So Port will be home in a week or so enjoying his pasture mates probably
telling of his violent ordeal and the kindly hikers who helped.
But, now I must ask for more help from this great society of PCTer's - I am
coming back in 30 days with Issy (Port's best friend) and we will go on.
But, this time, I beg the hikers to let me know of impossible areas for a
horse. We will continue towards Canada and ask that you leave a note to any
serious impediments to horse passage. Needless to say, my wonderful mentor
Mendorider told me to skip the area where Port fell and my bullheaded, can
do attitude caused this whole accident. I will listen if you all will leave
me a note or something. I am forever grateful to the group who took the time
to help Port and realize the PCT is so very much more than a trail.
Sincerely, Susan (Grayhair)

Amanda,
The riders name is Susan Bates. She and her husband, Burton, have come out
from Arkansas.
I have been assisting her on her thru ride mostly via e-mail. She called me
shortly after the accident and again this morning. Her horse is "pretty
scratched up but otherwise seems to be OK".
She had come around a corner and came to a very large down tree. The trail
was very narrow. She first tried to back him up. When that did'nt work she
tried to turn him around and he slipped down on the loose scree - to a wide
ledge, fortunately. She found a place where she thought she could get him
back up. That did not work either as he went over backwards. His saddle and
saddlebags apparently cushioned his fall and saved him from possible serious
injury. She left a note by him and went for help. Along came 10 hikers, one
of them a very experienced horseman from Italy. Working together they made?a
route back to the trail.
Susan,Burton, and the horse "Port",are now at a Forest Service Camp called
Heart Bar and will rest Port for 2 or 3 days and then trailer down to have a
Veterinarian check out Port.
MendoRider/Ed Anderson