[pct-l] horse abuse

Ken Murray kmurray at pol.net
Tue May 12 09:59:52 CDT 2009

I read, with some dismay, about the horse fall.

The rider wants to know about other possible impassible areas.

That was NOT the problem.  The problem was that you led an innocent animal into a situation  that you could not deal with.  You describe your stubborn and "can do" attitude.  An example of that is that you plan to take ANOTHER horse into a similar situation.....unknown.

The PCT, at this time of year, is NOT horse friendly. Trail crews have not had time to get into the areas to work on the trail, particularly clearing of downed trees.  The trees are out there.  It is not a safe time to ride a horse on many parts of the trail.  In the Sierra, we usually don't get a chance to start clearing trees until July.

Did you have the ropes that could have made the turn around safely?  Apparently not.  Did you know how to turn a horse around in a narrow, dangerous place?  Apparently not.   Are you doing something to fix these deficiencies?  I guess not.

Could you traverse the trail a month later, when it will be far safer?  I guess this is where stubborn and "can do" come in, again.

Normally, when people get themselves in over their heads, I just shake my head and consider it the culling of the species.  However, the horse did not have a choice, and narrowly avoided death by pure luck.  So now you are going to throw another horse at the trail?  Like those infantry charges into the machine guns, bad things are likely to happen.

<sigh>