[pct-l] Section CA-R OR-A update

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Tue May 12 19:21:41 CDT 2009

I hiked east out of Cook 'n Green pass this weekend. This was my first
section hike along the PCT in 1976. I hiked out to a point just east of
White Mtn where the pre-1976 PCT trail hits the current version. I was
surprised at the lack of snow until I hit the east side of Copper Mtn. In
the 8 miles I hiked east I hiked on just over a mile of snow. From what I
could see, the trail is snow covered mostly from 6000ft up on ridges, and
lower down on north faces. I also drove over I-5 to Medford last week, and
it looks like it's all snow from Reeves Ranch to Red Mountain, so don't rush
out onto the trail here yet. I have my hike photos up, and there is also a
good snotel site link on Red Mtn to check the current snow conditions. The
snow is melting at a good pace, and  I think by early to mid June, this
section will be perfect, and if you like a challenge, it's ready now.  I'll
have an update on section OR-B in a couple weeks.
http://www.or.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/maps/oregon_sitemap.html
http://www.pbase.com/losthiker/root&view=recent  Red Buttes, pages 4 and 5.