[pct-l] Trail Closed at Belden

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu May 14 21:44:14 CDT 2009

That's a bummer it's still closed. I was hoping to complete that this
year. Here are the directions from a former email to the list for the
road walk for those who wish to keep their hike a continuous foot-
journey:

> Starting at Belden Town Resort:
>
> Hike EAST on highway 70 for 1.5 miles until you reach Caribou
> Crossroads Store (the same store that is in Yogi's book).  This is
> a very busy road (when it is open!), so be careful.
>
> Turn LEFT on the paved road (light traffic).  Walk 8 miles.
>
> Turn LEFT at the signed junction to Butt Lake [this is not a typo.
> make your own jokes.] Continue about 5 miles on the dirt road to
> Butt Lake.  There are many roads in this area, but stay on the most
> heavily-used
>  one and you should end up at the lake.
>
> Continue north along the dirt road on the east shore of Butt Lake.
> You will pass two campgrounds.  The second one is your last source
> of water until you reach Stover Camp on the PCT in about 15 miles.
> After the second campground, your route becomes paved.  Stay on the
> paved road until you can SEE highway 89, then turn LEFT on the last
> logging road before the highway.  It is about 10 miles from the
> south end of Butt Lake to the highway.
>
> Follow this road, which is almost never out of sight/sound of the
> highway, until you reach highway 36. (about 7 more miles)
>
> Turn LEFT on highway 36.  Hike about 4-5 miles to the PCT marker.
> There is lots of fast traffic here, but the shoulder is halfway
> decent.
>
> This is not the shortest route (there is a maze of logging roads in
> this area), but it should be easy to follow.
>
> There should be a Google map of the Butt Valley route at: http://
> snipurl.com/2u98c

Maybe the powers that be reopen it before most of us get there?

Another alternative for those who aren't so purist: Apparently some
people hitched to Quincy and spent a few days at the High Sierra
Music Festival before hitching to Chester. It's a 4 day music festival.

Diane/Piper