[pct-l] Peek

Halfmile halfmile at pctmap.net
Sat May 16 20:15:11 CDT 2009

Handyrock.
Peek uses the T-Mobile cell phone network so it should work wherever
T-Mobile cell phones work. It will be interesting to hear from Ice-axe
how and where it works on the trail as I don't have many reports from
T-Mobile user in the cell phone reports I am compiling here:
http://www.pctmap.net/cell/index.html

I have not used a Peek, but it's main advantages appear to be its low
cost and that it does not require a long term contract. That might be
enough to make the device appeal to some hikers.

It is an email only device so you can't make voice calls with it. This
seems kind of limiting to me, not that I make all that many phone
calls while I am hiking, but I do occasionally need to make a call and
many devices (Blackberry, iPhone, window mobile phones) will do both
email and voice and do both well. I am especially a fan of the
Blackberry for use on the trail although I am using an iPhone now as
my normal phone.

Cost may be an issue for some hikers with these smartphones as you
typically need to sign up to a two-year commitment for a $30-40 a
month data plan on top of the $30-40 a month (minimum) voice plan. The
phones can run hundreds of dollars too.

I have been experimenting recently with prepaid cellular service. Most
prepaid cellular companies don't allow smartphones, but Pageplus
Cellular does ( www.pagepluscellular.com ). Pageplus uses the Verizon
network. I have recently been testing a Blackberry 8703e I purchased
used but in like new condition for $79 which works perfectly on
Pageplus. Calls will be about 6-7 cents per minute and in my initial
testing data charges probably will be well under $5 a month. My
initial reaction to my Blackberry/Pageplus experiment has been very
favorable, and for me could cut my phone bills in more than half
compared to my iPhone or the ATT Blackberry I used for two years
before it. The downsides are that Pageplus/Verizon prepaid may not
work everywhere normal Verizon phones work and the 8703e is an older
phone with no camera and almost no multimedia functions. It does do
email and voice exceptionally well, however.

-Halfmile