[pct-l] tent footprint

Frank Dumville fdumville at earthlink.net
Sun May 17 11:05:11 CDT 2009

Ken,

If you are talking about one of those heavy footprints that are made by the tent manufactures to fit your tent I would say no.

Instead, bring a piece of tyvek or plastic ground cloth. This will serve the same purpose to help protect your tent floor. It's cheap and easily replaceable if it wears out. That's what I used, but it probably isn't necessary.

The real reason to have a ground cloth is that there will be many nights that you won't want to pitch your tent and you will just lay out the ground cloth to cowboy camp. You could use the tent as a ground cloth but I think this may put too much wear on the top and mesh that you will want to be intact in bad weather.

I would also suggest not spending too much time or money on most gear just yet. As you do your planning you will find many different suggestions on gear that you will have to sort through to decide what's best for you. The one exception would be to find the foot wear that will work best for you and start hiking with it.

Snap