[pct-l] Trail Crest to Whitney Portal/ Lone Pine

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Mon May 18 12:11:53 CDT 2009

Over Trail Crest to Whitney Portal:

Yes, it's a quick exit to Lone Pine, but the same is true for Horseshoe Meadow. However, the hitch from Lone Pine back to the Portal has more traffic and so will be easier than the hitch back to HSM.

The deciding question is "do you intend to re-supply and return to the PCT?". If so, you do NOT want to make that steep climb back up to Trail Crest with a full pack. Better to go out over Kearsarge Pass to Onion Valley and hitch down to Idependence, resupply and return the same way.

Also, crossing Trail Crest means you must pay the $15 Whitney Zone fee, whether you climb Mt. Whitney or not, and have it noted on your PCTA permit. If you don't cross Trail Crest, your PCTA permit still allows you to enter the zone temporarily to climb Whitney then return west to the PCT.

Wandering Bob