[pct-l] Guidebooks. Help a brotha (sister?) out!

Candy Smith candyjsmith at gmail.com
Tue May 19 03:58:26 CDT 2009

> Hello All,

I'm a student at Green Mountain College in  Vermont...but an Oregon
resident, and I've hiked sections of the PCT pretty regularly my entire
life. I'm working on planning my "senior project" for my self-designed major
(Adventure Recreation Writing), which will likely consist of a thru hike of
the pct, and a guide book or novel to be written about the experience. I'll
be doing my thru hike in the 2010 season. (II'm so lucky to be getting
college credit to hike!(

I've tried to put some feelers out with little response (on facebook, etc),
as to what people would like to see in a guide book that isn't there. I've
read most of the major books that exist out there...but I'm curious if
anyone has suggestions of things that WEREN'T in the guide books that they
wish were there. I'm trying to create something that will actually be useful
to future hikers...so...anyone have anything they wish they would have been
able to find in a guidebook? any suggestions about what you NEED from a
guidebook?

As this is both a literary and recreational quest for me, I'll be spending
the next year doing some extensive research, and I'd love to have some
feedback from people such as yourselves who actually know/love/respect the
trail, instead of just my faculty advisor.

Your input is greatly requested. If you don't want to respond via the
listserv, please feel free to shoot me a personal email.

Thanks y'all, and happy trails.

-Candy