[pct-l] Conditions from Sanfrancisquito Road to Highway 58

Linda Bakkar lbakkar at hotmail.com
Tue May 19 13:14:23 CDT 2009

Hi, from Blue Butterfly!  I just got home from hiking 88 miles in the Mojave area.  Needless to say, it was HOT, HOT, HOT!!!  Here are a couple of tips for any thrus who will be coming through this area.

I camped at Upper Shake Campground (about 15 miles or so from Sanfrancisquito Road) and found the stream below the camp.  Though the streambed seen from the campground is dry, I just followed the directions on the water report to go past the information sign (which is almost hidden by brush) to a tree with a white post leaning against it.  There is a trail leading down past another dry streambed, followed by a beautiful little stream with good water.  (as of 5/13/09)  The campground looks like it has not been used for years, but it has an outhouse and picnic tables.  It is 1/2 mile off the trail, but I thought it was worth it -- especially because of the good water source.

I noticed that Vincent updated the rest of the water sources through that area, so I won't repeat.

Another tip:  Coming out of Tylerhorse Canyon, there is a place where it looks like the trail curves around and down to the right into a sort of bowl.  That is because of the motorbikes.  One Step... told me to make sure to "stay on the ridge."  At that point, where it really looks like the trail goes down, I took the little trail to the left (northbound) on the ridge that went up.  After going up awhile, I found a PCT sign.  I appreciate all the new signs that were put up in the area, but I have heard that people still can get lost up there.  So, remember:  Stay on the Ridge!  Also, the PCT usually has long, mostly easy-graded switchbacks.  Where lots of motorcycle trails criss-crossed the trail, I looked across the valley and could see a signpost on the other side and figure out which way to go.

I had trail magic at Cottonwood Creek Bridge, as Roger (trail angel for sure!) greeted me with a cold soda and some ice!!!  What a treat!  There was a water cache there, which I needed and appreciate greatly, whoever is responsible.

The heat nearly got to me several times on this trip.  One thing that really helped me was a little mister bottle that held probably 2 or 3 ounces of water.  I used it to spray my face and let the occasional breeze cool me off.  Sometimes a good juniper bush gave me a bit of shade, too.  But the spray bottle, even though it was a small one, was a life-saver for me.  I never had to refill it during the 5 days I was hiking there, because it didn't use much water in the mist to give heat relief.

Coming down the hill just before Highway 58 was a group of cattle, a big bull standing there looking mean, with his head lowered toward me.  That is the only fear I felt -- as the trail zig-zagged back and forth around them.  It is probably an irrational fear...bears, mountain lions, snakes...no problem.  But cows?  Oh, My!

Blue Butterfly