[pct-l] The weapons question

Bill Burge bill at burge.com
Wed May 20 11:39:09 CDT 2009

Actually, in this day and age, they probably would.

I haven't read the bill, but it was my understanding that it simply
meant that if you have an existing permit, valid in the state where
the park that you're visiting resides; it's legal for you to carry in
the park.

Previously, parks were allowed to make their own rules about carrying
weapons inside their boundaries irrelevant of the local states's laws.

(Even if we don't want to debate the whole 2nd amendment thing)
Traveling with a firearm is complicated enough and carrying a loaded
one even more so, imagine if you had to be aware every time you
crossed an imaginary line on a map to know you could or could not
carry.  Imagine if you still had to get individual permits in every
park you passed through on the PCT.

Personally, even my Glock is too heavy to pack on the trail, so I'm
going to carry a BIG stick, concealed.  ;-)  Well, actually, I got the
ultralight, collapsible, dehydrated one; so it fits in my pocket.

BillB