[pct-l] Belden closure

Trekker4 at aol.com Trekker4 at aol.com
Thu May 21 07:20:29 CDT 2009

I have no  idea who sent me this:
    There's no fire burning in that stretch...at  least not at this precise
moment, so you're in no danger of burning to  death.  It would seem to me
that the sound of chainsaws, axes and such  would be noticeable from some
distance and so would the sounds of a gang, or  even just a few guys/gals
having lunch or dinner, maybe even the sounds of stock  animals.  Now, please
don't take what I've written here as a suggestion  that anyone break the
law....that avoiding trail maintenance workers makes  everything o.k, just because
you never ran into anyone who told you to  leave...I'd never advocate
breaking the law.  I'm only commenting on the  fact that the area in ?? isn't
burning, and that perhaps walking around  some parts of the trail might be
acceptable...I mean, you walk around blow-downs  and slide areas all the time,
right?

 Yea,  my thoughts rather precisely. The PCTA site says something like
"blowdowns and  poor trail conditions". Why don't they close all the other
places with lots of  blowdowns; I reported close to 1,000 blowdowns last summer,
but none  of those sections were closed; I clambered steeply downhill
through a 200+ tree  blowdown pile just S of Sisters Mirror Lake last summer, but
it wasn't closed. I  walked through a burn area still smoking in 2-3 spots
right by the trail, but it  wasn't closed.
That 5 miles was just as dangerous right after  the fire as it is now.
That's like the three informal, decades old, and  unpoliced Border crossings in
Big Bend that were suddenly closed 6 MONTHS  after 9/11, for "national
security reasons", destroying the only real revenue  (tourism) for three, small
Mexican villages.
    The substitution of common sense for some  poorly thought out actions
has always been extremely inconsistent. There's not  much we can do about it.
They've published no detour or walkaround  details, so how can the trail be
closed? Besides, if one walks just off the  trail, is that walking on the
trail? Is it illegal to walk beside a closed  trail? Who owns that forest
anyhow? Just a taxpayer/owner askin'  questions...