[pct-l] Rather funny.. :), and realistic advice

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Thu May 21 14:54:24 CDT 2009

Jeff, Marge--

Whoa!  I'm floored! Thank you so much for the support. I had no idea there
was so much interest in an issue that some say does not pertain to the
trail.

I had a simple question, an issue that didn't make sense in my mind, and I
thought, with all the varied expertise on this List, I'd likely get an
answer to it if asked in an honest, open, non-judgmental way. People are
entitled to their opinions, certainly this forum allows for that, and in the
brief time that Brick allowed the thread to continue, everyone basically
behaved themselves.

As you all know, we are very concerned, here, about hiker preparation,
specifically, a hiker's awareness of the practical side of thru hiking, the
non-romantic side, and especially how that relates to on-trail skills
training, to keep them safe and provide for fun expeditions.

So, the next question for the "panel" is just how aware are most thru hikers
of the dangers of the recreation? Sure, hikers can and have died on the
trail from all sorts of things from bee stings and hypothermia to drowning
and falls (snow and dry trail), but we all know they are infrequent and far
between. However, what I see every year as the next Class ques up and asks
the usual questions is tremendous romantic desire to accomplish dreams
hitherto unknown with such naiveté that I become certain that many of them
will not succeed and lose the incredible opportunity to learn of life and
mature in stature that the long trail offers.

Now, many start with the desire and realize that they have to learn more
about it and, so, begin the lengthy process of planning, research, and
trial-runs. This is fantastic.

But this is what I want to say, once again, when so few finish the whole
trail in one season compared to the mass that starts out each Spring, does
that say that the rest were not thoroughly enough acquainted with the
realities of the adventure, what the trials will be? Sure, we "veterans
young and old" are there to assist and advise when asked, and the trail
journals can be read, but are we really doing all we can to help the next
generation accomplish their dreams, ones we have already tasted, by
preparing them for all the possible realities? This is not intended to
inject fear or doubt, but to bring to the planning table all the issues so
hikers can be at least mentally aware of what can be around the next bend in
the trail. When the highway sign says that rocks could fall on my head up a
ways, I can chose my response and proceed advised.

The subject of weapons in the woods relates to such preparation advise. When
I hiked the Continental Divide and arrived in Chama, NM, to receive another
resupply, I stayed at a small resort on the southern edge of town that was
just coming out of winter hibernation. The place was empty of guests and the
owner couple were facing preparing all the cabins for the summer's busy
season. We repacked our new gear, skis, skins, and avalanche beacons in one
of the cabins and shoved off a few days later back up to the snow and Wolf
Creek Pass.

The going was horribly rough. There was a lot of snow the winter of 1979!
After slogging it out and climbing some crazy-steep snow chutes, we deemed
the effort insane and not worth it, and we bailed out and back to Chama to
wait weeks for the snow depth to decrease. While we were there, the owner of
the resort, an avid shooter and re-loader took us on our breaks (we paid for
our lodging by working on all the cabins!) out to the town dump to shoot at
cans (New Mexico, baby!).

I was an award-winning target shooter from my youth, but I hadn't shot
anything in years! Needless to say, I couldn't hit the proverbial "broad
side of a barn door." Besides, I was a hiker and hikers don't know nothin'
'bout guns! The pivotal moment came when he said, casually, one day as we
were walking between cabins beneath the towering cottonwoods alongside the
river, "Your gonna need a gun for the bears ahead, if not the crazy people!"

It really was the farthest thing from my mind. I just didn't think like
that. I had a mild notion that there might be grizzly and wolves in Wyoming
and Montana, but I had hiked the Crest and didn't have a problem, had hiked
all my 24 years up to that point in the Sierra and never had an incident, so
why should it be different here? He was a quiet-spoken man who, it was
clear, loved his wife more than life and he never, in the few weeks we were
there, pushed any biases upon us. So when he began to describe what really
happens in the mountains of Southern Colorado, having hunted and guided
there for most of his 50 or 60 years, I began to take him seriously. I had
come to know and respect the man. I didn't really think that I would come
upon a situation where I would have to use a weapon, but according to his
experience, the possibility remained.

He sold me a .41 mag. Ruger revolver and a box of shells with the condition
that, should I not want to keep it, I sell it back to him as it was one of
his favorites. It weighed a ton, based on my standards of cutting my
toothbrush in half to save weight, but I was strong at that point in my hike
and I didn't notice the difference once the pack was on. I loaded the thing
and strapped it on top of my tent on the very top of my Kelty pack such that
I could reach it while hiking. As I would hike along later that summer
through the many ghost towns in Colorado, I would find huge piles of rusting
tin cans somewhere amidst the roofless old buildings-and you know what tin
cans are for? I would drop my pack there at the edge of "town," line up the
cans on the nearest cabin wall, and plink away at them, hoping to maybe hit
one. No such luck. I was a novice with a cannon, but it sure was a lot of
fun! I'm not a hunter, just love target practice! (Still working at it...)

I never made it into Wyoming to see the grizzly or wolf. I got severe
Achilles tendonitis just outside of Steamboat Springs, fell way behind
schedule to make it to Canada, and hobbled off the trail right there. What I
learned is to be aware of the possible, expect the probable, and plan as
desired. Some say it's stupid to carry a satellite phone into the canyons of
the Sierra, but I value my life (and yours if you need help!) over the
discomfort of its weight. Carrying a weapon is no different. Chances are
you'll never need it. Without it you're the next victim, whether phone or
weapon in an emergency. How you view the odds and prioritize the weight is
your choice.

At least get all the advice on the realities of the journey before you go.
We should not with hold such, especially on this forum, because it only
happened to one person or to no one, yet, at all. Are weapons really needed
on the Crest Trail? No, until something happens that raises the chances it
may again. I say this only because the populations of lions in the south and
grizzly and wolf in the north are statistically increasing the likelihood of
human/animal encounters. Most American Black bears only want your food, and
those only near the Parks, but they can reach weights up to 350 pounds (one
was just caught in Carson City, not far from me, just wandering through the
houses) and don't just eat ants and plants. Marion D. relayed a personal
account of hers with her llamas in SEKI a while back where she heard on the
trail that a bear had killed and eaten a llama. She witnessed another
watching and waiting a short distance from her own tied string of llamas one
evening.

Know what's going on out there, that's all. You may never have a problem or
incident in your lifetime, but be advised and aware and choose as you see
fit for you.

Now, as the Hill Street Blues sergeant used to say, "Be Careful Out There!"

Mtnned