[pct-l] Spray more effective than guns against bears: study

Ken Murray kmurray at pol.net
Fri May 22 00:32:47 CDT 2009

I'm somewhat irritated that the moderator nicely asked people to stop the gun thread, but this has not occurred.  I'm not going to discuss guns any more, but thought that the issue of bear protection merits discussion, as there are so many misconceptions and misunderstandings about black bears.

I'd strongly recommend the following site, bear.org, in general.  Lynn Rogers, the bear biologist associated with the North American Bear Center, may be the most knowledgable person alive about black bears.  He was the chief bear biologist for the US Forest Service for years, and has published a huge body of scholarly work.

Anyway, here is the notice of the study:

http://www.bear.org/website/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=202&Itemid=123