[pct-l] Fragmenting the PCT information sources

Ralph Alcorn rbalcorn at gmail.com
Fri May 22 14:20:26 CDT 2009

I started following the pct-l around 2003. Back then it was an important
source of information for me. I was a complete novice about many aspects of
the pct, and learned a lot just by following the posts. I'm not sure I could
do that now. There is so much noise between posts with information that I
could miss something important.  I look for other sources of online pct
information, and find that the last couple of pct classes have setup yahoo
groups to get information. On Facebook there is a PCT hiker group. Several
websites such as Postholer's have forums with PCT topics. Some of the hikers
with a lot of experience have moved on to these other forums.

I think these other PCT forums have some use, particularly for social
networking, but it is worth remembering that PCT-L is the forum pointed to
by PCTA.org, the Pacific Crest Trail Association's site. That makes the
pct-l the first source of information for many hikers new to the PCT. They
need answers from people with experience.

Why not try and stick to the facts. Get the fundamentals across to the new
hikers - avoiding dehydration, foot care, training, how to build up to big
miles, how to deal with snow fields, how to get to Canada, announcement of
trail magic events. When considering posting a new topic, give it some
thought before hitting send. Will this improve a hiker's chance of getting
to Canada, or will it distract the hiker from what is really important?

If you've got an opinion on something that you think is important to pct
hikers, but controversial, think it out, post your opinion and let it go.
Forget the rebuttals, and rebutting the rebutts. Do that off the list. That
way we shouldn't get more than about a dozen posts on a subject and it has
had its turn. On to the next. The last post doesn't win. No cheating by
editing the subject a little. If you've got more to say, say it on a social
networking site.
--
Ralph Alcorn
http://www.backpack45.com/pct.html