[pct-l] Just one statistic...

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 22 17:31:29 CDT 2009

Tragic, just tragic!   ...and that is my concern, although most hunters, I believe, are responsible gun owner/operators, I fear non-hunting gun owners who are not familiar with the wilds.  I envision someone day-hiking or even a newbie backpacker panicking when they met a bear or when one enters their camp area at night.  As most of us know, such a confrontation can be easily resolved by making loud noise and acting aggressively.  The novice, I fear, will shoot first and ask questions latter.  This could result in the needless death of a number of bears.  And... should our panicky shooter only wound the animal, this very action could result in the bear attacking, defeating the whole idea of the gun in the first place.  I don't know, these are just my fears, after all it happens in the city far too often between people with no bears around.  To a newbie, a shadow, or any movement of bushes can be all too frightening and the results all to sad.

On the bright side, Dick Chaney hasn't shot anybody this week!  :)

Shepherd