[pct-l] Fragmenting the PCT information sources

edfaubert at yahoo.com edfaubert at yahoo.com
Fri May 22 22:10:52 CDT 2009

Meadow ed here......
Moving to a better place may seem like the answer to the ills of PCT-l but in a year or two the new site will be the same way....... i think the real problem lies in the new crop of hikers doing the trail and posting on PCT-l .
I say this not to find fault with the last couple of years of hikers cause for the most part they are still the wonderful folks they have always been. No, i think it the fault of the times we live in and perhaps to a degree its the Gimme Generation who's younger and more ruthless then the old standard kind of hiker we  are used to here. Many of the new folks come on line and seem to push the button of the older folks who have been using PCT-l for years and get upset with some of whats here. Just remember we may have created this new breed of hikers......
Well if that's the case your welcome to leave and start a new site. Many folks go to more then one place for info anyway like the gear place on TJs so having 2/3 places to look for the info your looking for is not a bad thing.
The newbies, as we call then will go to 4/5 places if they have to to find the answer they are looking for. On one hand, one would think with all the info available out there with guidebooks, videos etc folks would find all the info they need but we see year after year that's not the case. After all, with most of the negative posts about where oh where has the good old PCT-l gone most of these folks still want to help the new hiker get answers. So if your desire is still to help out with answers these folks will always ask then perhaps you need to just "suck it up".  Perhaps the changes one sees in the type of info here is not to your liking and i understand that.
For me personally i do see the change in the attitudes of the new hikers but i still put my time and money in helping them  out with food and water etc etc as does Donna and Jeff, Joe and Terry, Firefox, Jo-Ann and Andrea and countless others who help.  Its easy to sit home and complain about things not to your liking, that's your right. Perhaps you should channel your angry to helping out hikers on any trail your close too or go do some trail work someplace.....
Be part of the program here folks and stop bitching and pitch in...............