[pct-l] Fragmenting the PCT information sources

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat May 23 09:43:10 CDT 2009

On May 22, 2009, at 9:57 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> http://www.adventureonthepct.com/
>

> girlscout

Wow, thanks for that. It looks like it's pretty new.

I have enjoyed whiteblaze but I have not joined. I just read. My
favorite article there is the one by Mags on dirtbagging on the cheap.

There's a good signal-to-noise ratio on Backpacking Light, but it's
not PCT-specific and it's more about going light and spending too
much money. But going light is pretty important to a lot of PCT
hikers, so it's helpful. The gear list discussions can sometimes be
quite thought-provoking, making you rethink your assumptions about
what you really need.

Reading trail journals and forums on Postholer and TJ is helpful. A
lot of forum info on any forum is still good after a few years so it
doesn't bother me if old posts bubble to the top. The nice thing
about a forum is that you can see quickly if a certain topic has a
lot of posts. If it spans more than about 3 or 4 pages you know the
topic isn't usually worth reading anymore.

This list is pretty helpful, too. You have to understand that once
the year's hike gets under way, all that's left to fill up space are
us wannabes. Except for a few useful posts from out in the field (by
hikers or angels) on trail conditions every now and then, the quality
is pretty poor until fall when people start needing answers for the
next year.

~Piper (who won't be a wannabe anymore after I turn off this dang
computer and hit the trail any minute now...)