[pct-l] Desert Triple Crown WAS Qudaruple Crown?

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Sat May 23 14:47:31 CDT 2009

My buddy Disco has, IMO, a really good designation that involves a Triple crown:

the Desert Triple Crown

The Arizona Trail  http://www.aztrail.org/
The Grand Enchantment Trail  http://www.simblissity.net/grand_enchantment.shtml
The Hayduke Trail http://hayduketrail.org/

IMO, the AZT is probably the "easiest" of the three (relatively speaking!  Mainly from what I've read.  I've only done 100 or so miles of it!)

The GET is probably the most logistically easy (Simblissity purposely designed it w/ ld hikers in mind)

The HD "trail" is easily the gnarliest. The Colorado Plateau is one of the most breathtaking places in the US..and truly WILD.  I've done bits
and pieces of this "trail".  It is the one that calls out the most to me ever since I both
A) Went to Utah for the first time in 2001   and fell madly and passionately in love with this area
B) Heard aboutthis "trail" way back in '01 or '02

Doing these three trails will let you explore one of the most unique areas of the US: The desert southwest. From the Sky Islands of Arizona, to the canyon
country of Utah to ancient villages of the native people in New Mexico.

So many things to explore..so little time.

My next trails on tap:

The Tahoe Rim Trail next month (only 160 miles.but it looks like fun!)
The Canadian Great Divide Trail..this one is looking more and more possible each day. Thinking ~July 20th or so to start.

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/art