[pct-l] Cascade trail and the country store

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sun May 24 09:31:43 CDT 2009

Diane:

Cascade Valley Trail is mentioned on page 326 of Schaffer's Southern CA PCT Guidebook, but the route is not detailed.

"Alternate route: Via the PCT, you are now 19 miles from the Rainbow Falls trailhead parking lot near Reds Meadow. Via the Cascade Valley-Fish Creek-Rainbow Falls Trail, you are 19.4 miles from it. Some backpackers who aren't committed to following the PCT every step of the way prefer this lower, easier, mostly downhill, less crowded route. Camping opportunities are greater and, if you're experiencing bad weather, you'll find this lower, well-forested route far more hospitable."

I will send you the maps via a separate email. This trail also goes past a hot springs which I'm told is quite popular with both people and bears.