[pct-l] Camping/Water north of Crater Lake

Suzannah Swinehart suz_quz at hotmail.com
Thu May 28 09:45:36 CDT 2009

That is correct - from a fellow section hiker's viewpoint at least, it is a long, hot, dry section. Water up at Lightning Springs, then you'll have to wait 'til the other side of Thielsen before you see anything wet again. You are at the "Oregon Desert" where Mazama's volcanic activity sent all the water deep under a layer of pumice and...stuff.

Bob is correct - it's still just picnic tables and an outhouse. We (wimps that we are) cached several gallons of water for ourselves at that campground - hid them well and prayed that they'd be there when we arrived, or else we'd have had to hitch back into the park. If you can cruise past there on your way to start your section hike, it's not a bad plan.

The good news is that once you climb up to the ridge that meanders around the side of Thielsen, it's a pretty quick drop down to Thielsen Creek - which we decided may be one of our favorite new camping spots. The glacier fed creek was delicious, especially after all that "desert"!

-Chipmunk

Message: 11