[pct-l] Young hikers

Bill Burge bill at burge.com
Thu May 28 11:28:19 CDT 2009

I hope they have a good time and the memories of a lifetime, but...

How young is "young"?

Are they _completely_ without experience?  They should do a lot of
research and prep for something like this and approach it as if there
would be NO help available.

The Sierras are tough, especially if they haven't had the
"conditioning" of the lower half of California to get them ready for it.

Also, while it seems that there is "lots of help", that fades a bit
into the Sierras as roads and cell phone signal becomes less
available.  Non-hikers do a LOT of support in So Cal because the
population density and network of roads makes it so possible.

"On trail" support in the form of hikers starts to get more dispersed
in the mountains.  Depending on their timing and location, it might be
days before another hiker passes them.  If they are in trouble at that
point, an ultralight hiker with barely enough supplies for themselves
and a first aid kit the size of a pocket wallet may not be able to
offer much more assistance than, "I'll tell someone you're here when I
get to the next ranger or town."  It's a sort of unfair position to
put the other hikers in some level of responsibility for people with
no backcountry experience.

BillB