[pct-l] hiker with dog

Jo Pegrum Hazelett joph at piedmontbsa.org
Fri May 29 17:16:47 CDT 2009

To all those with concerns about a dog in the National Park:

I am the hiker in question.

California law requires that there be a medical need for an assistance dog
and the dog must be trained.  My assistance dog, Mr. Cody is a life saver
for me. I don't know any of you well enough to say more than that.

Most of the time Mr. Cody travels leashed where it is required, but
occasionally he is off leash, especially when it is icy or otherwise
dangerous for us both to be tied together. I am a no trace camper and on
this particular trip I didn't even have a stove. I believe the two of us
probably had less impact on the environment than many of the hikers who go
through, particularly in large groups.

Mr. C., my husband and I have hiked most of the PCT together. Last year the
three of us finished the trail at Manning Park. Mr. C. is a great hiking dog
and very well behaved. Most of the people we meet are happy to see him and
we try to be respectful in return. But nobody is perfect including me and my
dog, and we do make mistakes. But isn't that true of anyone who hikes the
trail?

We just try to do the right thing, obey the rules and get along-I have seen
too many attacks on this list.-why not assume some good in other people's
motives instead of assuming the worst?

Respectfully,
Jo
http://postholer.com/jo