[pct-l] Short mileage days

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 3 12:06:32 CST 2009

>>On a serious note, this is something I have always wondered about since completing my thru in 2006.
>>Do other thru-hikers (or for that matter long distance section hikers as well),
>>struggle with short-mileage hiking days after their thru-hike is over?

I have a good friend whose idea of a backpacking trip is to hike in 5 miles, make basecamp
and do day hikes out of basecamp.

It is not my idea of fun, but I go because I only see this friend once a year now.

So, I treat it like a car camping trip.  I pack in LOTS of goodies (wine..of course), have
a campfire and enjoy the camping aspect of the trip. My gear is a bit different.

The longish day hikes make up for it, too.

Most people when they backpack really mean they like to camp as opposed to hike.

So, when I tag along with these friends, I adjust my gear and attitude appropriately.

Having said that, I can only go on this type of trip 1 or 2 times a year! :D

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/art
http://www.facebook.com/pmags